Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Has anyone ever stolen your idea?

Lizzie

Has anyone ever stolen your idea?

Post by Lizzie on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:09 pm

I brought a competition entry yesterday to school to give it to my teacher, and I gave it to a friend to read it.
    Today she came to school and told my best friend she wrote a great story and gave it to her. Since I was sitting right next to her, I read it with her, and realized that the **** **** **** stole my story! She took the idea, jumbled it up, and even left some of my lines. Identical! I went to the teacher and told her what happened, and thank god the deadline was over so she couldn't send it. But this was one of my close friends, and I just feel so violated and disappointed in her. I'm not angry with her at all, but I just feel so sorry for her, because she couldn't think of something herself, and had to copy me.
    Has this ever happened to you? If so, how did it make you feel, and how did you handle it?

PS. I had to put the little stars, since I could not think of a nice way to call that ****.
    Tia

Re: Has anyone ever stolen your idea?

Post by Tia on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 pm

First off, let me say that's an awful thing to do. It really is. You're stealing someone's thoughts and ideas. Those are the only things in this day and age that are even remotely off-limits, some of the only things you should be able to keep secret. It's a decaying world when you find out someone's stooped to that level. A really corny thing my Croatian teacher is fond of saying, is that we're thieves when we copy off each other on a test, and that it was the same as stealing an expensive car. We were stealing knowledge, she would say. It was supposed to discourage us from copying, and it didn't do a very good job, but it's the same principle as what happened to you. It's also why I never really liked posting my stuff online, and why I was so glad that this site was created. Did you talk to her about it at all?

I have never gotten an idea stolen; but then again, I'm not very public with my writing. I like to keep it private, and only mention it when I don't have much of a choice. For example, we were on a school trip and I was writing. A friend of mine saw the notebook and thought I was studying, so I had to explain XD
    I don't know, it's an uncommon hobby, and one of my very best friends still doesn't really know I'm writing a book; he just thinks I scribble stuff down during class, and even then he sort of rolls his eyes, so I don't mention it.
    Emma

Post by Emma on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I would be so, so, so angry if someone did that to me! I mean, seriously? Taking elements from well known books that inspire you is one thing...but actually copying from your friend (and not even bothering to change some of the lines) is just.....grrr......
    I'm sorry, I'll try to stop ranting now, but when people copy others and pretend that it was a completely original idea it just drives me up the wall.

Fortunately, this has never happened to me, but if it did, I would just ignore it. Mainly because I'm not the confrontational type. On the outside I would try to appear as if it didn't bother me that much, but I sure would be fuming inside!
    Hypothetically, if it had happened to me, and then the same person tried to pass my work off as theirs again, then I would try to nicely ask them where they got their ideas from and see if they are willing to own up!
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm

LadyCobweb wrote:First off, let me say that's an awful thing to do. It really is. You're stealing someone's thoughts and ideas. Those are the only things in this day and age that are even remotely off-limits, some of the only things you should be able to keep secret. It's a decaying world when you find out someone's stooped to that level. A really corny thing my Croatian teacher is fond of saying, is that we're thieves when we copy off each other on a test, and that it was the same as stealing an expensive car. We were stealing knowledge, she would say. It was supposed to discourage us from copying, and it didn't do a very good job, but it's the same principle as what happened to you. It's also why I never really liked posting my stuff online, and why I was so glad that this site was created. Did you talk to her about it at all?

I have never gotten an idea stolen; but then again, I'm not very public with my writing. I like to keep it private, and only mention it when I don't have much of a choice. For example, we were on a school trip and I was writing. A friend of mine saw the notebook and thought I was studying, so I had to explain XD
    I don't know, it's an uncommon hobby, and one of my very best friends still doesn't really know I'm writing a book; he just thinks I scribble stuff down during class, and even then he sort of rolls his eyes, so I don't mention it.

I agree with you. Writing is one of the most important things in my life, especially since I'm really quiet and that's the only way I can express my true thoughts. I feel like she'd robed me of my own identity. No one ever really knows what kind of feelings are behind my writing, and seeing someone take that away from me, and turn it into a take-off that can't even amount to what I was feeling inside when I wrote it makes me sick to my stomach. I put my heart and soul into everything I write, no matter how long or important it is. This might seem a bit dramatic, but she literally ripped it away straight form my heart.

I didn't talk to her at all, I was kinda afraid I'd lose my control and do something I'd seriously regret.

Emma wrote:I would be so, so, so angry if someone did that to me! I mean, seriously? Taking elements from well known books that inspire you is one thing...but actually copying from your friend (and not even bothering to change some of the lines) is just.....grrr......
    I'm sorry, I'll try to stop ranting now, but when people copy others and pretend that it was a completely original idea it just drives me up the wall.

I felt the same way for the first few moments. Then I took a paper out of my notebook, and started writing a note to my best friend to tell her, but she stopped me and just said: "I know. Calm down. Just don't do anything stupid (I was already kinda planning a way to strangle the girl right on the spot). We'll take care of it."
    She's a writer, too, and an amazing one. She could understand what i was going through.

Emma wrote:Fortunately, this has never happened to me, but if it did, I would just ignore it. Mainly because I'm not the confrontational type. On the outside I would try to appear as if it didn't bother me that much, but I sure would be fuming inside!
    Hypothetically, if it had happened to me, and then the same person tried to pass my work off as theirs again, then I would try to nicely ask them where they got their ideas from and see if they are willing to own up!

I'm not confrontational either. I always ignore insults and stuff like that. But this is a competition (Not that I would ignore it if it were something else). Competitions can earn me points if I win (And I'm seriously competitive when it comes to writing), and the more pints I have, the better high school I can get in.

Anyway, I'm trying to move on, but I think I should just copyright my work in the future XD
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:30 pm

I confess in borrowing ideas from other stuff, but if the idea for example was someone going to buy shoes and meeting the love of their life (wow, why on earth would this be in my story) I'd change it to someone who was returning a dodgy salad and getting a call from the person's mother in law over something shocking. I'd completely change it AND I'd ask the person if they're OK with it. For example, I nicked the antagonist's name off Jack's brother XD The Omar in the story however, was in the original dream where the idea came from. And he had curly hair. The real one doesn't.

But a competition? I'd sue them. Or snitch - I mean - tell them off. I don't really show my writing - I'm really private about it and not even my mum has seen my writing. I'm so glad that I was on Yahoo Answers that day and saw the critique group! I've always been worried someone could steal my ideas or whatever which was why only a very few people ever saw my writing (about 2). Unlikely, but I don't think there are any published novels set in post-revolution Egypt for example.

Do copyright your work. It's not as necessary for unpublished works because not many plagiarisers would be willing to do all the effort of what goes on after sending it to a publisher, BUT otherwise, do it! Wait. It's already copywritten to you ... you could always watermark it.

I do it for my photography because that is very easy when it's on the internet. In fact, I only posted a few works on the internet before taking it down... XD
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:03 pm

I won 3d place! Ha! You should have seen the chicks face!
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Congrats. Smile
    Just wondering... how's it going between you and your friend? Are still friends?

Post by Lizzie on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:51 am

Oh, we're on "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" basis. I realized she was my friend only so she could use me.
    Maris

Post by Maris on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 am

Congratulations Smile

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I even simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant. None of those things, however, came out of my mouth. All I was able to do was turn to Liesel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you. I AM HAUNTED BY HUMANS.”
    - Death (The Book Thief by Markus Zusak)
    Tia

Post by Tia on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Congratulations Lizzie! Very Happy cheers

By the way, Maris, I LOVE your signature. That's one of my favorite ending-lines ever.
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Thank you all soooo much!
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm

I say...

...Does anyone know what I'm gonna say?

[size=72]PARTY![/size]

Congratulations, Lizzie! This party's a congrats party.

Lizzie

Post by Lizzie on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:48 pm

Haha, thank you!!!!
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Maris, your signature's awesome Very Happy

For me, I feel like I'm watching my character's lives and then stepping in every now and then to control their actions causing mayhem and messing up their lives Very Happy

I think I sound sadistic.

Kalin98

Post by Kalin98 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:36 pm

I have lots of people steal work form me. I used to get mad and seek revenge, but whats the point? So now I just sit back and not worry about it. There the ones who won't know how to write a half desent paper. There the ones who will be working at McDonald's not me. What goes around comes around. queen
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Well said Kalin! Very Happy

You're from South Carolina? I know someone who's from there Wink
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Yeah, Hailey. Wait, who lives in South Carolina? Aside from Hailey.

Post by Hailey on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Actually, Kalin goes to my school. Smile)
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:39 am

Ahh... you two know each other. Smile

Post by Maris on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:37 am

LadyCobweb wrote:By the way, Maris, I LOVE your signature. That's one of my favorite ending-lines ever.
    Mac wrote:Maris, your signature's awesome Very Happy

Thanks! Smile

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I even simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant. None of those things, however, came out of my mouth. All I was able to do was turn to Liesel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you. I AM HAUNTED BY HUMANS.”
    - Death (The Book Thief by Markus Zusak)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:58 pm