Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Do you plan?

Poll

Do you plan?

[ 5 ]
    71% [71%] 
    [ 2 ]
    29% [29%] 

Total Votes: 7
    Maris

Do you plan?

Post by Maris on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 am

Are you one of those writers who come up with an idea, sit down and start writing immediately or do you take time to plan the whole story beforehand?
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Re: Do you plan?

Post by Mac on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Planning is a must for me. At school, when we wrote stories, the teachers always told us to plan but I never saw the point of it as it was "time wasting". At the time, I was trying to move up a level from 4 to 5 so I could do well in my exams.

The first time I planned I got my first level 5 Very Happy

Then in Year 8 (I'll be in Year 10 in September, 14-15 years old), I planned a novel for the first time... and I wrote one!

Do you plan?
    Maris

Post by Maris on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:27 pm

I do. I can't imagine writing a (good) novel without planning. It would turn out a complete mess and it would take a lot of drafts to make it decent so I find it easier to figure it all out before I start writing. It's actually fascinating to me that some writers can manage without a proper plan.
    OmarEhab

Post by OmarEhab on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm

I don't I just write and then I sorta of rearrange stuff and begin to add and remove bits. That's the way I roll though. Many people would just plan. I did plan for a novel once and when I was done it was rubbish! So from then I stopped planning.
    Maris

Post by Maris on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Cool. Smile
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Jack... was it your first one? Because my first one was so bad XD I think this novel is better.

You're doing pretty well by not planning though!
    Maris

Post by Maris on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:02 pm

I wrote my first novel without planning - about 5 years ago, I think. Epic fail. Laughing
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Yes, I can't dream of writing without planning.
    Emma

Post by Emma on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:42 pm

I need to plan to a certain degree. I gives me an idea of how I should construct things to give maximum effect and to some level, also gives me confidence that everything will make sense and won't collapsed in a muddled heap half-way through.

I like to know my characters relatively well. They need to be pretty well developed before I start writing, because, after all, without interesting and well developed characters, your story will be about as exciting as a newspaper article - it will just a be string of events. I like to plan out their initial personality, how this will change throughout the novel, and how their past has influenced their current characteristics. I don't spend heaps of time doing this or anything, just enough so that I have some idea of how they think. This way, I can choose suitable reactions for them throughout the story which will spur the plot on.

I don't plan my storyline quite so much. I know how it is going to start and I always have a few specific scenes planned out in my mind. I don't however, always know how it is going to end. I find that it motivates me not to know as I have to actually begin writing the story to find that out. As my novel starts the take form, then a suitable ending will become apparent to me.

But that's just me Smile
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:57 pm

Emma wrote:I need to plan to a certain degree. I gives me an idea of how I should construct things to give maximum effect and to some level, also gives me confidence that everything will make sense and won't collapsed in a muddled heap half-way through.

I like to know my characters relatively well. They need to be pretty well developed before I start writing, because, after all, without interesting and well developed characters, your story will be about as exciting as a newspaper article - it will just a be string of events. I like to plan out their initial personality, how this will change throughout the novel, and how their past has influenced their current characteristics. I don't spend heaps of time doing this or anything, just enough so that I have some idea of how they think. This way, I can choose suitable reactions for them throughout the story which will spur the plot on.

I don't plan my storyline quite so much. I know how it is going to start and I always have a few specific scenes planned out in my mind. I don't however, always know how it is going to end. I find that it motivates me not to know as I have to actually begin writing the story to find that out. As my novel starts the take form, then a suitable ending will become apparent to me.

But that's just me Smile

I always say when I'm on Y!A, plan, but don't plan too much. I kind of do a little bit like what you do, but I plan plot more and characters less because the characters begin to take shape about halfway because I start to learn more about them.

Maris

Post by Maris on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:34 am

I like to know my characters well. I plan the plot to the extent where I know what to focus on and which direction I'm supposed to go because otherwise it turns out a total mess, but not too in detail so that I have freedom while writing.
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Never. I never plan. Usually I just get an idea and start writing, because if I stop to think, it just flies away, like a bird.
    I like to see writing as free. Who ever said the sky was his limit was very narrow minded. There's so much more.
    Planing reminds me of maths. I hate maths. All those strategies and rules...Evil or Very Mad
    OmarEhab

Post by OmarEhab on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Thalia wrote:Never. I never plan. Usually I just get an idea and start writing, because if I stop to think, it just flies away, like a bird.
    I like to see writing as free. Who ever said the sky was his limit was very narrow minded. There's so much more.
    Planing reminds me of maths. I hate maths. All those strategies and rules...Evil or Very Mad

I AGREE!! ESPECIALLY ABOUT MATHS. I HAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEE MATHS!!!!! MY PLAN IS TO RULE THE WORLD AND DESTROY MATHS AND MATHS TEACHERS!!
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:43 pm

I hate maths! But I find that planning for me is the only way to stay focused and to write.
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:58 pm

OmarEhab wrote:
    Thalia wrote:Never. I never plan. Usually I just get an idea and start writing, because if I stop to think, it just flies away, like a bird.

I AGREE!! ESPECIALLY ABOUT MATHS. I HAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEE MATHS!!!!! MY PLAN IS TO RULE THE WORLD AND DESTROY MATHS AND MATHS TEACHERS!!

HAHAHAHA! I totally agree! I'll do it with you. Let's be partners in crime!
    OmarEhab

Post by OmarEhab on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:37 pm

OKAY!!! *SHAKES HANDS* LET US BEGIN DESTROYING THOSE TEACHERS MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (this is the part where the whole lightning bolt comes and stuff XD)
    Emma

Post by Emma on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 pm

D: I LOVE MATHS!!! It was one of my favourite subjects in school. How can you not love algebra? Or calculus! Ohhhhh and algebraic and geometric proofs! I loooove them. Just thinking about them makes me happy *sigh*
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:50 am

Too many rules, personally. I still have to plan though otherwise I have no sense of direction, but I try to give myself a little bit of freedom (I love planning plots. My favourite bit about planning!).
    Maris

Post by Maris on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:58 am

I like maths. In fact, I can get really hyper about it. But it gets annoying sometimes when I don't understand something because my professor is really bad at explaining things. She's very funny though, so I forgive her.
    Hailey

Post by Hailey on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I plan to an extent. I will plan the main plot, and jot down notes on a peice of paper of things I would like to somehow work into a story. However, I don't plan every detail of my writing. Sometimes I'll get a great idea I must include, so I have to go back and plan again and write it all over again. But you know what they say! Writing is re-writing.
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:45 pm

OmarEhab wrote:

Hey, I love math, especially Algebra. :p
    Hailey

Post by Hailey on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm starting Algebra this year. Not. Excited. I hate math and I feel this will be difficult.
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:10 pm

When you grasp the basic concepts, algebra is easy. That doesn't stop me from hating Algebra...
    dotandscribble

Post by dotandscribble on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 pm

i do sometimes...
    Normally, I'll start a piece with a rough idea in my mind.
    Sometimes i'll write a couple of these points down and use them as a frame... i guess what i'm trying to say is that it depends on my mood

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:19 pm