Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Character Status

Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Character Status

Post by Mac on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:25 am

Hi everyone!
    At the start of my book, I came up with four main protagonists and one major antagonist (and a minor one, his assistant).

(Yes, four. That's a lot I know!) Halfway through the book, I decided that I would downgrade one of their statuses to Minor character (but fairly important, I'd think). Now I've been thinking to do this to the third protagonist too because... I don't know, but I felt like he wasn't as important as the other two.

What holds me back is that it's Liam's best friend, who introduces him to the other protagonist (even though Liam and him knew each other but never really met) and he has a thing to do with Liam's Girlfriend (kind of fancies her, all will be explained in the next few chapters)....

Has anyone felt like this before? What decides if the character is major or minor? Thanks everyone Smile

Mac
    Maris

Re: Character Status

Post by Maris on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:04 pm

I'd say that he's a minor (supporting) character because he's crucial to the supporting plot (the twist with Liam's girlfriend), not the main plot. His role in the main plot is merely introducing the protagonists. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Emma

Post by Emma on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Major characters generally more developed than minor characters. They are usually dynamic (changing) and minor characters are more often static (unchanging). Main characters lead the plot and they are absolutely necessary for the main events of the story to take place. As Maris said, minor characters are more a "space-fillers" and are mainly used more in subplots.
    I've only really written one novel before (which is the one I'm working on at the moment), so no I haven't experienced this yet. I have, however, had the opposite happen to me. My main character's best friend was originally going to be killed in chapter 3 (yes, I know...I'm mean!). But I felt that this was too much of a change for him to go through so early in the story - they're practically brothers. I want the readers to have a chance to understand my MC's initial personality more before such a dramatic change occurs in his life. Consequently, the best friend (Hamish) has been ungraded from a minor to an almost-major character. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:12 pm