Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
OmarEhab
Emma
Tia
Maris
Mac
9 posters

Non-writers fail to understand writers

Poll

Non-writers fail to understand writers. Agree or Disagree?

[ 6 ]
    Non-writers fail to understand writers Bar_left100%Non-writers fail to understand writers Bar_right [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Non-writers fail to understand writers Bar_left0%Non-writers fail to understand writers Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Non-writers fail to understand writers Bar_left0%Non-writers fail to understand writers Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 6
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Non-writers fail to understand writers Empty Non-writers fail to understand writers

Post by Mac Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:37 am

Is it me or do non-writers never seem to understand writers?

Let's take my mum as an example.Today, she was cross that all I was doing was sitting on the computer by myself doing "nothing". Being alone in the dark all by yourself "isn't good for you". But what she doesn't seem to understand is that I'm not alone, and in my imaginary world, it's really bright.

Also, my mum doesn't seem to understand that being quiet and thinking is very important to a writer...

I wondered whether anyone has experienced any sort of situation where they don't seem to understand writers? I can't be the only one.... can I? Smile
    Maris
    Maris

Non-writers fail to understand writers Empty Re: Non-writers fail to understand writers

Post by Maris Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:22 am

Same here. My mom always complains that I do nothing and that I should spend my time doing something more useful than writing. Rolling Eyes Sometimes when I get really wrapped up in an idea and I can't stop thinking about it, people misinterpret me being quiet and thinking so they get offended or think that something's wrong. Laughing None of my friends are writers (except for those I met online) and they just don't understand. I know I can't blame them, but sometimes it bothers me.
    Tia
    Tia

Non-writers fail to understand writers Empty Re: Non-writers fail to understand writers

Post by Tia Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm the same as both of you. I have a couple of good friends who like to read, and they undersatnd why I like to write and are fine listening to me blabber on about some new idea I have. But the bulk of my friends don't read or write; one of my closest friends, in fact, sort of rolls his eyes every time I bring out my notebook. He doesn't undersatnd how I have the patience for it.

My mom's exasparated with me as well. There's this one cafe that I like to go to after work and just sit there by myself and write for an hour or so. When I come home and tell her that I've been in a cafe by myself for an hour, she doesn't undersatnd at all, gets upset and starts warning me not to talk to strangers and how she doesn't want me to go anywhere by myself. I told her that whenever a stranger talks to me in English, I say "Sorry, I don't know English" in Croatian, and when a Croatian stranger talks to me I babble out something French-sounding, but she still dissaproves. :/
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:50 pm

YES! This exact same thing happens to me.

Mum is ALWAYS complaining about my story writing. Every time I sit down in front of my computer she gets really annoyed, saying I'm always on the computer and I need to help out around the house. I'll admit, I am on the computer a lot at the moment, but it takes me a good 20min to get into my "writing zone". So even if I sit down a few times throughout the day to write, if I don't get at least 30+ minutes to myself, then NOTHING will get done. And she doesn't seem to understand this. Whenever I complain that I haven't been able to write properly in ages she says something along the lines of "But you've been on your computer all day". (Yes Mum, I have, but for no longer than 15min at a time!) GAH!

Fortunately my Dad is relatively supportive of my writing, always asking how it's going and stuff like that. So when Mum's not around, I can basically be a hermit in my room to my heart's content Smile

None of my friends are writers either, although some of them read quite a bit. But I don't really talk about writing with them, so I don't have any problems with misunderstandings.
    OmarEhab
    OmarEhab

Post by OmarEhab Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:43 pm

Its the same with me! But with my dad! Whenever I sit to write he tells me stop doing nothing and start doing something useful!! I hate it when they interrupt my thinking !!! They're destroying my train of thought!!
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:45 pm

And here's me thinking I was the only one who experienced this!
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:52 pm

If you've never stared off in the distance, then your life is a shame. ~Adam Duritz

My maths teacher once said that she saw a girl in the buss staring out the window and thought that she was wasting her life. They don't understand us, and we just gotta deal with it.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:07 pm

LadyCobweb wrote: There's this one cafe that I like to go to after work and just sit there by myself and write for an hour or so.

I wish I could have a place like that myself like a little gazebo in my garden where my family would know not to say anything to me, since I'm not allowed to do anything by myself Sad
    Every where in the house is being used. My mom's got important stuff to do so she uses her bedroom, my grandma has the TV on all the time and my little brother is in my room to use the computer. I can't use the garden when it rains either. In fact, I can never use the garden at all because the baby upstairs (I live in an apartment) keeps chucking motorcycles, spoons, bottles of milk, oranges and beer cans (How did he get hold of THAT?) down.

No where to think then no where to write. I hate sharing a room! D:
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Why don't you write at night, while everyone else is asleep? I always got more inspiration at night
    Hailey
    Hailey

Post by Hailey Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:08 am

I totally agree! I'm always told to get off the computer and do something productive by my mom. My friends aren't writers but they often read over some of my fanfiction, and they don't realize how much time and effort goes into every little peice of work. They rush you, get mad and sometimes make fun of you for it. I try to blow it off but its so annoying.

Also, sorry i've been kind of MIA lately. Preparing for a foal and school keeps me busy!
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:37 am

Hailey wrote: They rush you, get mad and sometimes make fun of you for it. I try to blow it off but its so annoying.
    I only told one friend I write, and while he's not a writer, he's the only one who seems to understand me when I talk about something to do with writing. Maybe it's because writing a novel takes forever and so do comics? (he makes comics and animations). I know if I told someone else they'd laugh. Especially at my school which is a boys school. Writing stories etc is 'gay' to them.

Hailey wrote:
    Also, sorry i've been kind of MIA lately. Preparing for a foal and school keeps me busy!
    You still have school? Wow, ours finished three weeks ago... (@Emma, does Scotland start school early? I've heard something like that on the news once but I thought I might have misheard it).

@Lizzie, at the moment I do because it's the summer, but otherwise I can't. Year 10 is also coming in September... I wonder what impact that will have on my writing?

Mac

Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:19 am

Ahmadblues wrote:
    Hailey wrote: They rush you, get mad and sometimes make fun of you for it. I try to blow it off but its so annoying.
    I only told one friend I write, and while he's not a writer, he's the only one who seems to understand me when I talk about something to do with writing.

The only one I know that truly supports my writing is my best friend. And she is a writer. It's good to know I have someone there beside me that actually knows what I'm talking about, and what I'm struggling with. It seems now that the people I know are divided into the ones that hate me because they want to beat me, the ones that are rooting for me (mostly my teachers and my parents) because they wanna brag when I win, and those that just don't care.

Ahmadblues wrote:@Lizzie, at the moment I do because it's the summer, but otherwise I can't. Year 10 is also coming in September... I wonder what impact that will have on my writing?

Mac

Yeah, that's always a problem. I spend six or seven hours in school, and then three or four studying for school, and after that I'm beat. But I'm lucky cause my literature teacher let's me use her classroom for an hour a few times a week, so I can get some peace and quiet
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:22 am

Ahmadblues wrote:
    I only told one friend I write, and while he's not a writer, he's the only one who seems to understand me when I talk about something to do with writing.

The only one I know that truly supports my writing is my best friend. And she is a writer. It's good to know you have someone there beside me that actually knows what I', talking about, and what I'm struggling with. It seems now that the people I know are divided into the ones that hate me because they want to beat me, the ones that are rooting for me (mostly my teachers and my parents) because they wanna brag when I win, and those that just don't care.

Ahmadblues wrote:@Lizzie, at the moment I do because it's the summer, but otherwise I can't. Year 10 is also coming in September... I wonder what impact that will have on my writing?

Mac

Yeah, that's always a problem. I spend six or seven hours in school, and then three or four studying for school, and after that I'm beat. But I'm lucky cause my literature teacher let's me use her classroom for an hour a few times a week, so I can get some peace and quiet
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:41 am

Ahmadblues wrote:@Emma, does Scotland start school early? I've heard something like that on the news once but I thought I might have misheard it.

This year, I think my younger brother is starting school early September, but I don't start uni until late September. Last year, though, I think it may have started for some schools in mid August. I'm not exactly sure myself how this compares to the rest of the northern hemisphere because in Australia, the school year was completely different (it coincided with the academic year ie. started in January/Febuary and finished in November/December). [This is why I've had half a year of no school what-so-ever, waiting for uni to start].
    How about you? Smile
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:26 am

Mac, your school finished three weeks ago? :O Ours finished 2 months ago. xD And it starts either Sep 5th or Sep 12th, they still haven't worked that out yet...

I only told one friend I write, and while he's not a writer, he's the only one who seems to understand me when I talk about something to do with writing. Maybe it's because writing a novel takes forever and so do comics? (he makes comics and animations).

Yeah, I have a friend like that too. More specifically, she's a huge manga fan and draws mangas. Well, is trying to at least. XD Right now she's sort of having a mangas-writers block, but she's always open to my ideas and ready to listen. In return, I'm trying to snap her out of her standstill.
    Hailey
    Hailey

Post by Hailey Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:04 pm

I got out of school 2 months ago. We're starting back next week. Razz
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Hailey wrote:I totally agree! I'm always told to get off the computer and do something productive by my mom. My friends aren't writers but they often read over some of my fanfiction, and they don't realize how much time and effort goes into every little piece of work. They rush you, get mad and sometimes make fun of you for it. I try to blow it off but its so annoying.
    Same here. People just don't understand that writing takes time and effort (especially my parents , even though they're fairly supportive). I don't usually let people read my writing, well expect here, but there's a difference.
    I'm always told to get off the computer, help around the house or vary my time, which makes writing a lot harder because every few minutes someone has to distract me.
    There are two other writers in my class, and way more accomplished than me, but even they don't get why I take so much time to write.

P.S: I got out of school in May (after second term testing).
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Is it me or do they always seem to think that we're not normal? That's what I think my mum is thinking. Maybe she's wondering why I'm not like the other kids (for her info, I have own a PlayStation which I play regularly). Idk... but I wish she'd understand me! :/
    dotandscribble
    dotandscribble

Post by dotandscribble Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 pm

i know exactly what you mean....most people are like what on earth are you doing?! luckily one of my best friends is a writer as well (she's insane at it!) and one is a total bookworm so the rest have learned to put up with it! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am