Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Tips For A Good, Clean Story

Hailey

Tips For A Good, Clean Story

Post by Hailey on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:51 pm

I made these on my own time. It's just things that help me and migh help you!
    And excuse the grammar. I tried to fix the mistakes but my keyboard is broke. Razz

5 Tips To Help You Write
    1. Get in the writing mood. If you are very happy, it’s hard to write a sad, emotional scene. Try listening to a sad song, remembering a tragic event or put off the scene until you are feeling down, calm, or ready.
    2. Stay in character. Try not to have your characters all over the place without a valid reason or cause. A character one day would not have strong feelings against abuse, and then the next day hit his girlfriend without anything happening.
    3. Try to eliminate all distractions. Turn off the TV, go into a quiet room, or put on earphones. When you are distracted, you’re more common to have mistakes and forget you’ve already mentioned something. Sometimes it helps to listen to music while writing a certain scene, but have a playlist preset, so you don’t have to change the song every 3 minutes.
    4. Try to think ahead and hint. It always makes the story more interesting when you have a small something that nobody really notices until it relates later on in the story. Then readers can go back, and see the connections instead of having something random happen without any lead up. Now of course there are some things you don’t need to hint to.
    5. Remember your cause and effect. Many writers plan the effects very well but forget the cause. If someone gets pregnant [effect] then they must have either been raped or had sex [cause]. Now that’s pretty obvious but when a character becomes in a relationship with another one, there’s always a cause for that. People aren’t going to just get together for the heck of it. Why do they like each other? Why do they think the relationship will last?
    6. Don’t rush the plot. One thing I struggled with for a good while as a writer is rushing characters into scenarios way to fast. People who just met are not going to have sex, get married or even start a relationship (I’d hope). Don’t make a character get out of one thing then into another the same day. At the time it may sound good, but when you and other people go back and read it, it seems rushed and forced.
    7. Take a break before editing. It always helps me if I take about a 15 to 25 minute break from the time I finish a chapter, poem, or short story to edit it. Watch TV, eat a snack, exercise, just do something to get your mind off of writing for a coupe minutes. When you go back and try to edit, your mind will be clear and you can think better.
    8. Read out loud. When you’re editing or revising read you piece out loud to see if it makes sense. Also read it backwards, so you don’t get caught up in the plot.
    9. Have a back-up editor. Trust me; they can spot things you can’t. My editor makes my writing 100% better and I can always trust her to give an honest opinion on the plot, characters and setting. When you have someone working with you like that, always be sure to give them credit.
    10. Have fun, relax and enjoy it. If you don’t like what you’re writing, it’s not going to be good or interesting. Pick a topic that you like, not your teacher or friend. In the long run it will turn out a clearer, more enjoyable piece to work on and read.
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Re: Tips For A Good, Clean Story

Post by Mac on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks Hailey! I'll try and use these tips! I don't do these things, (except maybe relaxing) so I can't wait to see the effects Smile
    Emma

Post by Emma on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Great tips! I have a few myself, but I won't claim any credit for them. I actually found them on a website a few months back, but I have found them helpful in terms of reminding me of the basics in writing. Sometimes you can forget the most important points while focusing on almost insignificant details, so it's good to be able to step back a bit and see the big picture.

The website: http://www.fictionfactor.com/guests/publishable.html

The tips:

Ten Tips for Writing a Publishable Novel
    by Leslie Caine

1) Write from the inside out.
    Determine what is fascinating about you, as well as what you find fascinating in life, and write from your unique perspective. That we each possess a story that we alone can write is the biggest advantage any of us have in the publishing industry. Use it!

2) Anchor every scene with telling details.
    Allow your reader to easily form a mental picture. Remember to remind readers what your characters look like and give your characters a tag so that they can be sorted out quickly. This allows your action to feel real and pulls the reader into your story.

3) Establish author authenticity, which is what allows your reader to suspend disbelief.
    Authenticity is established by seamlessly blending factual information into your story by virtue of those “telling details.” Authenticity is not achieved by the author’s simply knowing that his story is “how it really happened.”

4) Accept the possibility that you might be writing or have written the wrong book.
    We writers are too often derailed at criticism of our early attempts at fiction. We can keep trying to improve our initial work, as though we’re incapable of selling any manuscript if we can’t sell this particular one. No writing is ever wasted. You will carry what you’ve learned to your next manuscript.

5) Start immediately before the inciting incident that will shift the balance of your main character’s life.
    Let your reader in on how things were before this key shift of power occurred that has changed the hero’s life. That’s the fastest way to engage your reader in the story.

6) Build your plot so that each action leads to a reaction that heightens the suspense.
    The adult novel typically requires twenty plot points in which an action is taken or a discovery is made that forces the characters to react.

7) Never let your character eat an apple when he can be eating fried Cheerios.
    This is another way of saying: Make every word count. If you can, in this example, show your character eating something unusual, you enliven your prose and characterize at once.

8 ) Wonderful, compelling characters can compensate for almost anything.
    We read fiction for characters. Without them, the plot is just a string of events, and we can read about events in the newspaper. As you write, remember that each and every one of your characters has lived for many years before page one takes its first snapshot of their lives.

9) Conflict is the heart and soul of fiction.
    Strand your hero on the face of a cliff and throw rocks at him. When you’re being nice to your hero or heroine, you’re being bad to your book. Keep the conflict—and hence the suspense—going till the very end.

10) Don’t shoot yourself in the foot.
    It’s surprisingly tempting to send off a manuscript when the writer knows it’s not quite as good as it can be, or to send it to an editor or agent who isn’t looking for this type of work. That provides a ready excuse for why the book was rejected, but also all-but guarantees that it will be.
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:14 pm

:O FICTION FACTOR! I remember that day, 30th November 2009 when I came across that website which led me to planning my novel which lead me to finally finish one...
    Sorry. I...

In my bookmarks on Google Chrome I have a ton of writing websites from The Sun and nose shapes (lol XD Planning characters) to two blogs that have brilliant advice to a third which was written in... 1992! I never knew websites existed (well I sort of did) before 2000. Most web pages seem to have come from the last 11 years.

Anyway, here are some websites I find helpful:
    http://www.darkwaves.com/sfch/writing/ckilian/#2 (1992, can't believe it still exists)
    http://allwritefictionadvice.blogspot.com/
    http://probloguewriter.blogspot.com/ (I found this one just yesterday. Looks pretty good too but I haven't had a chance to see!)

I have a feeling I sound very narrow-minded and that I feel that everything only existed AFTER I was born... Apologies if I do!
    Emma

Post by Emma on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:09 pm

That 1992 site is fantastic! I found it recently immediately printed the whole thing and read over it avidly.
    Maris

Post by Maris on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:06 am

Great advice. Smile I have a lot of stuff like that written down or bookmarked. I'd put it up, but I don't have time right now.
    Tia

Post by Tia on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Thank for the linnks guys. This'll help. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:54 pm