Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Joce
Lizzie
6 posters

Writer's block

Lizzie
    Lizzie

Writer's block Empty Writer's block

Post by Lizzie Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm 101% sure EVERYONE here has writer's block from time to time. So, I was wondering how the heck do you get over it?
    I found a website with these really cool tips, and have been using them ever since.

Here they are:

• Talk to a monkey - Explain what you’re really trying to say to a stuffed animal or cardboard cutout.

• Do something important that’s very easy - Is there a small part of your project you could finish quickly that would move things forward?

• Try freewriting - Sit down and write anything for an arbitrary period of time—say, 10 minutes to start. Don’t stop, no matter what. Cover the monitor with a manila folder if you have to. Keep writing, even if you know what you're typing is gibberish, full of misspellings, and grammatically psychopathic. Get your hand moving and your brain will think it’s writing. Which it is. See?

• Take a walk - Get out of your writing brain for 10 minutes. Think about bunnies. Breathe.

• Take a shower; change clothes - Give yourself a truly clean start.

• Write from a persona - Lend your voice to a writing personality who isn’t you. Doesn’t have to be a pirate or anything—just try seeing your topic from someone else’s perspective, style, and interest.

• Get away from the computer; Write someplace new - If you’ve been staring at the screen and nothing is happening, walk away. Shut down the computer. Take one pen and one notebook, and go somewhere new.

• Quit beating yourself up - You can’t create when you feel ass-whipped. Stop visualizing catastrophes, and focus on positive outcomes.

• Stretch - Maybe try vacuuming your lungs too.

• Add one ritual behavior - Get a glass of water exactly every 20 minutes. Do pushups. Eat a Tootsie Roll every paragraph. Add physical structure.
      Listen to new music - Try something instrumental and rhythmic that you’ve never heard before. Put it on repeat, then stop fiddling with iTunes until your draft is done.

• Write crap - Accept that your first draft will suck, and just go with it. Finish something.

• Unplug the router - Metafilter and Boing Boing aren’t helping you right now. Turn off the Interweb and close every application you don’t need. Consider creating a new user account on your computer with none of your familiar apps or configurations.

• Write the middle - Stop whining over a perfect lead, and write the next part or the part after that. Write your favorite part. Write the cover letter or email you’ll send when it’s done.

• Do one chore - Sweep the floor or take out the recycling. Try something lightly physical to remind you that you know how to do things.

• Make a pointless rule - You can’t end sentences with words that begin with a vowel. Or you can’t have more than one word over eight letters in any paragraph. Limits create focus and change your perspective.

• Work on the title - Quickly make up five distinctly different titles. Meditate on them. What bugs you about the one you like least?

• Write five words - Literally. Put five completley random words on a piece of paper. Write five more words. Try a sentence. Could be about anything. A block ends when you start making words on a page.

I love this! They're soooo helpful. But, of course, sometimes even this doesn't work. Sometimes I just have to sit and wait it out.
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Writer's block Empty Re: Writer's block

Post by Joce Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks a lot. I have writers block, so I think I'll try listening to new music.
    As for getting over it, I usually put the manuscript aside and work on something else.
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:07 pm

I also have writer's block. Thanks a bunch Very Happy
    I like the freewriting and the pointless rule idea. They seem like a nice exercises. Or maybe I'll just skip this scene and come back to it later.
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Wow these sound like great tips. I had writer's block last week, so I took a week long break from writing and am now working on developing my characters further. I'm hoping once I turn back to actual writing, the block will have gone, but if not, then I'll definitely come back here and try some of this out!
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:38 pm

I wouldn't say I get as much writer's block as 'I can't be bothered to write' block. I find it so annoying. I have to force myself to write and then it comes out as (I'm trying not to swear here! xD) really bad...

Emma, you just reminded me, I need to develop 3 of my characters... I didn't do as much at the beginning because I was so desperate to write!
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:22 am

I found those tips a while ago. They're great.
    I have writer's block too. Damn perfectionism.
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:24 am

On the opposite side, right now, I AM ON A ROLL!

It's like adrenalin to me Twisted Evil
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:34 am

Good for you. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 am