Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Advice

dotandscribble

Advice

Post by dotandscribble on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Ok so i need a bit of help.
    I'm thinking about rewriting one of my pieces into third person but it's not something I am used to so I was wondering if anybody had any advice about it?
    Thank you Smile
    Emma

Re: Advice

Post by Emma on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:53 pm

I can't really think of any 'advice' to give, apart from the usual "show, don't tell" (but that applies to all POVs, not just third). It's really something you need to experiment with; find out first hand what works and what doesn't. Write a scene in third person then analyze it. Just make sure the reader is able to keep an emotional attachment with the main character; third person is less personal than first person.

Which third person POV will you be writing in? Limited, omniscient or objective?
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:49 am

If you're having trouble, you could write it like first person but in third - so it'd be just changing the pronouns. In 'Let the Right one In' (Let me in, in America), the author did that pretty well - he managed to do it so well that he could drop swearing into the narrative naturally (and dropped the F-bomb a few times).

By the way, Limited 3rd person is when you're writing in third person but you only stick with one character (like Harry Potter - you can't really say "As the phantom bus bore down on me, Gran was making an apple pie..." (Rowling got away with doing a bit of Voldemort because part of Harry was Voldmort). Omniscient is when you CAN jump around to Gran to X to Kim Jong Il for example. Objective is when you can't include anything that the person is feeling and you only say what you see - so it really IS as if I was saying 'You walked down the street looking fearful' because I wouldn't know if you were pretending to be scared or not.

(I think that's the correct definition, apologies if I accidently got mixed up!)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:51 pm