Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Tia
Lizzie
Emma
Mac
8 posters

What's a random fact about yourself?

Lizzie
    Lizzie

What's a random fact about yourself? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's a random fact about yourself?

Post by Lizzie Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:47 am

It rained yesterday while I was coming back from my school trip. It was so amazing. Everyone was cheering and thinking 'Finally!'
    Tia
    Tia

What's a random fact about yourself? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's a random fact about yourself?

Post by Tia Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:47 pm

My local bookstore's having some sort of sale or something; they're giving out books for 9 kuna Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    I'm going on a shopping spree tomorrow.
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:41 pm

Wow, that's about... 120 dinars (1.50 dollars)! LUCKY! My bakery sells things that cost more than that! I'd spend all my money on that if I had the opportunity...
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:44 pm

I'll probably end up doing just that XD Spending all my money, I mean.
    They had something like this a few months ago, but then there were only 2 books (for 10 kuna) and both of them were the second or third part of a bigger serial. And the bookstore didn't have part one XD
    These are stand-alone novels though, so I'll buy them all Very Happy
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Tia wrote:My local bookstore's having some sort of sale or something; they're giving out books for 9 kuna Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    I'm going on a shopping spree tomorrow.
    I saw that. I don't know why I didn't bother to check it out. Are there any good books?
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:29 am

There were only three left by the time I got there, and one was the second part of a series, so I passed on that. I got the other two though. In all honesty, I have never head of both authors and both books titles, and have no idea if they'll be good, but I'm not going to be picky when something costs 9 kuna.

Just so we're clear, I haven't started reading this or the other book yet; I'm too busy with Hamlet. The following is just what it says on the back covers XD

One's called In Golden Blood, and it's by Stephen Woodworth. This detective Natalie something-or-other can talk to the dead, and has in the past used it to catch murderers by talking to their victims. She wants to get away from that for some reason, so she escapes to the Peru mountains to help on an archaeological dig. They're looking for ancient artifacts, and she's going to help by talking to the dead. But then something goes wrong, and that's what the story is about. It sounds okay to me, but nothing special. But, you know, 9 kuna XD I figured I should give it a shot.

The other one's called The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault. I'm looking forward to this one - it sounds loads more interesting than the first. It takes place in Ancient Greece during the Peloponnesian wars and is basically about the lives of two Greek men, from when they were boys learning under Socrates (who also plays a big role) to soldiers in said wars. What I'm especially interested in is that it's got male homosexuality as a big theme, and I'm looking forward to that. It's been ages since I've read a book with homosexuality as a theme and I usually always enjoy those books. Plus, I'm totally in a Queer as Folk fangirl mood XD
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:38 am

The second one sounds interesting. Smile I'll go see tomorrow if there are any left.
    Which books about homosexuality have you read?
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:29 am

I've read most of Anne Rice's books, which feature strong love between male vampires, but also between females and males, so it's more of a book about bisexuality than specifically homosexuality. But, all the same, the homosexual theme is much more pronounced.
    Then Carmilla, by Sheridan le Fanu, but those are only undertones, nothing explicit.
    Magic's Pawn (book 1 of The Last Herald Mage series) by Mercedes Lackey - the main character is homosexual.
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, for obvious reasons.

I loved all of these books, although Magic's Pawn could have used a little more work.
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:19 pm

I love The Picture of Dorian Gray. Smile
    I didn't know that about Anne Rice's books. They were already on my list, but now I really want to read them.
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:20 pm

I do too <3 Have you seen the newest movie they've made out of it? If you haven't, don't XD Ben Barnes plays Dorian, and he's a brilliant actor and all, but they completly butchered the plot. Half of it is made up.

Oh, Anne Rice is a genius. I'd give anything to write like she can. Really, I would. She and Cahrles Dickens are both my idols - I'd give anything short of my life, family and friends to write like either one. Here's one of my favorite quotes from her:

"And I love to hear you say it, Louis. I need to hear you say it. I don't think anyone will ever say it quite like you do. Come on, say it again. I'm a perfect devil. Tell me how bad I am. It makes me feel so good!"
    --Lestat to Louis

It's the last line of her third instalment of the Vampire Chronicles, Queen of the Damned.
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:04 pm

I had my wisdom teeth removed on Friday, and my cheeks are so swollen, it's unbelievable. I can't eat properly and my mouth hurts whenever I laugh. I also can't open my mouth wide enough to brush my teeth normally. I just sort of give the front ones a quick polish. I didn't go to school today, and I'm not going tomorrow.

I look a lot like the Lady in the Radiator, actually.
    http://www.google.hr/imgres?q=the+lady+in+the+radiator&um=1&hl=hr&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=576&tbm=isch&tbnid=es3VDNXR8hmJCM:&imgrefurl=http://fyeahdisturbingmovies.tumblr.com/&docid=2kjNCNjJDh7AlM&imgurl=http://static.tumblr.com/bvd8vqc/5Gxllgprk/lady-in-the-radiator.jpg&w=250&h=187&ei=q6elTpuwLsvU4QSL7My2BA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=110&sig=117319653868688198766&page=1&tbnh=108&tbnw=149&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0&tx=87&ty=54
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Ouch! I have braces (ugh I hate being a metal mouth. I look so weird) and they put power chains on them and they hurt so badly I nearly screamed from the pain xD The best medicine was sleeping!
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:19 pm

Tell me about it. Going to sleep at night is my new favorite time of the day.

I had to wear braces too, but only for a year. I hated them too; the only good part was that I got to choose my own colour. I had purple braces Very Happy
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Hahaha me too! It's the holidays, woop woop!

Lucky XD I plain ol' silver and I have to have them for a year and a half. 11 months to go... I hope my teeth get fixed faster. When I got them, they had colours on the incisors (green), canines red, lower incisors blue, everything else orange until the came off a few days later.
    dotandscribble
    dotandscribble

Post by dotandscribble Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am

I had braces! Got them off like two days before my prom Smile an mine were turquoise - I had purple dirt but they faded really quickly :/
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:39 pm

I removed my bite opener! Woo hoo! But now that my incisors have moved so I speak with a lisp Sad And I now have elastics.
    11 months to go...
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Tia wrote:I do too <3 Have you seen the newest movie they've made out of it? If you haven't, don't XD Ben Barnes plays Dorian, and he's a brilliant actor and all, but they completly butchered the plot. Half of it is made up.

Oh, Anne Rice is a genius. I'd give anything to write like she can. Really, I would. She and Cahrles Dickens are both my idols - I'd give anything short of my life, family and friends to write like either one. Here's one of my favorite quotes from her:

"And I love to hear you say it, Louis. I need to hear you say it. I don't think anyone will ever say it quite like you do. Come on, say it again. I'm a perfect devil. Tell me how bad I am. It makes me feel so good!"
    --Lestat to Louis

It's the last line of her third instalment of the Vampire Chronicles, Queen of the Damned.
    I've seen it. They did change the plot, but I liked it anyway. Ben does that to me XD

Oh I like the quote Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content