Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Tia
Lizzie
Emma
Mac
8 posters

What's a random fact about yourself?

Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

What's a random fact about yourself? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's a random fact about yourself?

Post by Mac Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Yup! I was 6 and a half. My parents had names and they both couldn't agree on one and then they asked me. I gave them one and they liked it a lot. Thing is though, we all call him 'Dedo' and not his real name Abdulrahman. No one can pronounce it at his school, LOL XD
    Tia
    Tia

What's a random fact about yourself? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's a random fact about yourself?

Post by Tia Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Dedo means grandpa in Herzegovinian XD
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 pm

WOW.
    NO. YOU'RE KIDDING!

Great for when Dedo retires to Bosnia and Herezigovina (sorry can't spell it) Very Happy LOL can't wait to tell him Razz
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Herzegovina

My cousin named her little sister. Her parents wanted her to be involved and feel like they're equal. Now she's being ignored and the little twig is getting all the attention Evil or Very Mad
    (I really love my cousin...)
    Hailey
    Hailey

Post by Hailey Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:33 pm

xD I named my first niece! MaKayla would be the creative name I chose....

I was 7 leave me alone!
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:43 pm

That seems like an okay name to me.

Right, my Croatian boy is either Antonio or Ilija, and my Croatian girl is either Magdalena or Marita. Or maybe Zrinka.

Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Wow, those are great names. I like Magdalena best
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks Very Happy

I spent all of Biology thinking them up XD
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Haha, the only subjects I actually enjoy and take interest in are Serbian and English. Out of 15
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:56 pm

It's the same with me. I'm interested mostly in Croatian and English. We've got great teachers in both of them though, so that's probably why. Greek, Latin and History are sometimes okay, when I'm up for it. I just can't stand Biology though. That and math.

I've got 15 classes too. I think its waaay too much. When am I ever going to have to analyze a painting in real life?
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:02 pm

I've got an okay English teacher, and a new Serbian teacher (well,not really new, we had her three years ago)that haaaaaates me. Don't know why, but she just doesn't like me. And she's turning the subject into maths. It's like the woman can't analyze a two page poem!
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:57 am

Mac wrote:Yup! I was 6 and a half. My parents had names and they both couldn't agree on one and then they asked me. I gave them one and they liked it a lot. Thing is though, we all call him 'Dedo' and not his real name Abdulrahman. No one can pronounce it at his school, LOL XD
    My brother has the same name. Smile Except I didn't name him and it's spelled Abdel Rahman. So the school just calls him Abdel, which is a lot easier to pronounce. Lucky. No one could ever pronounce my name right. Well before we moved anyway.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:32 pm

That reminds me - we originally spelt it as two words but the people kept thinking his name was 'Abdul' and 'Rahman' was his middle name. Hospitals simply don't look at forms - that's what I say. They can't spell his name right. Or my last name. It's got a billion letters that don't need to exist in there.

Your real name is Nada, right? I would've thought that was fairly simple to say... wow...
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Nada means hope in Croatian Very Happy

Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:06 pm

I love how what one thing in one language means another in another language Very Happy

Nada in Arabic (according to baby names.com) means dew.
    Nada in Spanish is something along the lines of nothing.
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Your real name is Nada, right? I would've thought that was fairly simple to say... wow...

Well sort of, at school they pronounced it nauh-duh, like in Spanish, so fairly close. Even though my dad chewed me out on it.

Nada in Spanish is something along the lines of nothing.
    I've heard that a million times already, Mac, not kidding, I really have. Its on my list of Things I've Heard Way too Many Times to Count, along with introductions that start off with their name, hi, halo?, um..., hmm..., err... .
    But still , I feel sorry for the guys at the hospitals, how in the world are they supposed to spell Samara or any other name. Trust me , if you read that it looks nothing like what I'm trying to spell, سماره.

___
    A random fact: I just discovered there was a island called Christmas Island. Its in Austraila.
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Joce wrote:
    A random fact: I just discovered there was a island called Christmas Island. Its in Austraila.

It has loads of crabs...
    Seriously, type "Christmas Island" into google images
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:07 am

LadyCobweb wrote:It's the same with me. I'm interested mostly in Croatian and English. We've got great teachers in both of them though, so that's probably why. Greek, Latin and History are sometimes okay, when I'm up for it. I just can't stand Biology though. That and math.

I've got 15 classes too. I think its waaay too much. When am I ever going to have to analyze a painting in real life?
    Klasična? Ja sam u općoj. Smile
    I've got 17 classes as of this year. Sociology is my favorite.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Maris wrote:Klasična? Ja sam u općoj.
    I love google translate. It means I understand the above sentence Very Happy

Why is the translation the same in Serbian, Croatian and Slovenian? Is it all the same language or something? Or are the languages extremely close?

@Joce:

Imagine if there was a dude with a really long name... Arabic name actually with all the letters that they don't have in English:
    Abu Hussain al ra'3a fee al gharb allathi ya'kol thuhr al Kharoof

I know that name doesn't make any sense and is completely random XD I tried to fit all the letters that aren't in English. Imagine someone having to transliterate AND pronounce THAT!

Since I don't have an Arabic keyboard, I had to use google translate to write it out. It probably messed up this dodgy name even more!:
    أبو حسين ورأع في الغرب الذي يأكل ظهرا الخراف

Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Klasična? Ja sam u općoj.
    I've got 17 classes as of this year. Sociology is my favorite.

Aha. Ma ok je tu; nije grčki toliko težak.
    17 is way too much. I have trouble with 15, I think I'd have a nervous breakdown with 17.

Mac. all the Slavic languages are extremely close but especially those three. They're not the same language, but they've got the same roots and I can communicate fine with any Slovenian or Serbian. The accents are very different though. I can even understand some Russian, if I really make an effort.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Tia:
    That's awesome! Three-four languages you know already in a way. Just another accent XD

The only example I know apart from the one you told me is Arabic to Hebrew and Somalian. I can understand some of what my friend's mum says - they're Somalian - and apparently Hebrew's close.
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Eh, not exactly three-four. I can get around, but I'm in no way fluent. I have enough problems with Croatian as it is XD
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:06 pm

In my school, we can learn ether Russian or German. I decided for German, because the grammar in Russian is terrible, the teacher sucks (even more than my German pigface), and when ever I hear the language, I can understand almost every word.
    I mean, seriously, what's the point in the subject anyway?????

I think Shane Dawson is one of the best youtubers ever
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:13 pm

LOL, everyone is learning English anyway. There are A LOT of English speakers. I guess you could say it's a Lingua Franca (or whatever it was).

In our School, it's French or Spanish. It used to be German though.
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Yeah, I'm taking German as well. Not that I learned a whole lot... *clears throat*

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content