Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Maris
Mac
6 posters

The Mary Sue Quiz!

Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

The Mary Sue Quiz! Empty The Mary Sue Quiz!

Post by Mac Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Mary Sues (or Gary Stu's if they're male) are a nightmare. My first novel's main character was a Gary Stu... and such stereotypical characters! :s Anyway, I found this a while ago... http://www.katfeete.net/writing/marysue.html and luckily I had no Mary's or Gary's, although 2 characters were closer to a Gary/Mary than the other.

Anyway, I thought you'd all like it, and not meaning to be nosy or anything... but what did you get? Smile

Mac farao
    Maris
    Maris

The Mary Sue Quiz! Empty Re: The Mary Sue Quiz!

Post by Maris Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:57 am

Here's what I got:

In general, you care deeply about Phoenix, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Phoenix is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Total score: 17

When I first created this character she was pretty much a Mary Sue. Over time she's grown into something completely different. Smile She's an OC for my Harry Potter fanfic.
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:26 pm

My result: 23

Seth is only a little like you. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. There's never been anything special about him that he could see; boy, is he in for a surprise. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Seth, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Seth is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

'and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things'. That is so going in my story now. It describes him perfectly. Thanks. Mac! Very Happy
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Total: 9

Caden is only a little like you. He is not at all cool; in fact, he thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when he says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," he means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." There's never been anything special about him that he could see; boy, is he in for a surprise. He's got no emotional scars to speak of. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you've kept yourself a goodly distance from Caden and given him plenty of room - maybe a little too much. Don't distance yourself so far from Caden that you stop caring what happens to him.

I do care what happens to him!!!

Thanks Mac Smile
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Liam is only a little like you. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. There's never been anything special about him that he could see; boy, is he in for a surprise. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Liam, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Liam is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

That's my result Smile Apart from the sunglasses thing (which is SUCH an Omar Kareem thing (not Jack)) that's a lot like him Smile

Oh and here's the result of another protagonist from my first novel (which was terrible).

Mac isn't a character: he's you, or you as you'd like to be. He is not at all cool; in fact, he thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when he says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," he means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." There's never been anything special about him that he could see; boy, is he in for a surprise. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Mac, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Mac is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

Wow a lot better than I thought XD As you can see, I call myself Mac because at the time I made him (more than a year and a half ago) I loved his name, so I nicked it. It kinda stuck and now everyone knows me by my real name (which no one at school can pronounce despite the fact it is said how it's spelt) or that name. Too late to change it. (At Least I like the name).

Has anyone ever felt like that?
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Huh, I got a five. Is that bad or good?
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:44 am

Pretty Good! In fact, perfect! Smile Just be careful not to 'not care' about the MC.
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Diana: 29
    Adrian: 36

Just like Tia:

Diana is only a little like you. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. She always knew she was special, destined for great things - and probablyf made sure everyone else knew it too. She's come in for her share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever she gains, she's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Diana, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Diana is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Same for Adrian

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 am