Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
dotandscribble
Lizzie
Emma
Hailey
8 posters

How long did it take you to finish your first novel?

Poll

How long did it take you to finish your first novel?

[ 3 ]
    How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_left43%How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_right [43%] 
    [ 2 ]
    How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_left29%How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_right [29%] 
    [ 2 ]
    How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_left28%How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_right [28%] 
    [ 0 ]
    How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_left0%How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_left0%How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 7
    Hailey
    Hailey

How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Empty How long did it take you to finish your first novel?

Post by Hailey Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm just wondering how long it took everyone to finish their first novel.
    Emma
    Emma

How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Empty Re: How long did it take you to finish your first novel?

Post by Emma Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 am

I am still yet to finish a full novel Sad

I started writing one years ago in school holidays (I think I was only 10 or 11 at the time - it was about 7 years ago). I actually did quite a bit of work on it. But then once school started back up again, I ran out of time to put much work into it (I did A LOT of activities before and after school), so I stopped. Now, looking back on it, I'm so glad I didn't continue. The writing's not bad, but the characters....blegh! Mary-Sues all the way Neutral

During high-school, the only writing I did were short-stories. Again, heavy amounts of homework, as well as hockey, cross-country, jazz band, concert band, clarinet ensemble, piano lessons, clarinet lessons, chess etc, etc, etc all kept me super busy. Hence, no time for full-on story writing Sad

But now that I have had a break before I start uni, I have started my current novel which I'm hoping to finish successfully! Unfortunately over the past few days it has begun falling apart, which is a tad depressing. My mum (who's an artist) is urging me just to leave it and start something else. But I'm quite stubborn and I love this story and I've put so much into it that I don't want to let it go!! So I'm going to try go iron out the problems over the next few days; if that fails, then I may have to consider starting something else. Fingers crossed...
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

How long did it take you to finish your first novel? Empty Re: How long did it take you to finish your first novel?

Post by Lizzie Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Well, I tried writing my first novel when I was seven, so you can imagine how that turned out XD.
    dotandscribble
    dotandscribble

Post by dotandscribble Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:37 pm

I've never finished one! Like Emma, I got really far on my first but looking back it needs some seeeerious reworking!
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:21 pm

It took me 7 and 1/2 to 8 months I think...
    That was in year 8. I finished it a year ago so Aug '10 but it was horrendous. I can't even edit it! D: At first it took long to write, but as I got more into it (Halfway point was in June) I began to write loads. (BUT I always have short first drafts. That first draft was 52,000 words and so far on this one.. 36,000 to 37,000 words. A few scenes left.

Year 10 is coming up so I don't know how that'll affect my writing! I also had an argument with my mum who said I was spending way too much time on the computer and that I needed to spend time with everyone else, so that's not helping either.

Mac
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm

I've never finished one either. Sad

Currently, I'm on Chapter Five and in the middle of writer's block. In fact, I'm going to go take a look at that helpful-looking 'writer’s block' post you made. If I were to guess, I think the first draft through may take 1-2 years, but then another year or two of editing. So, all together, 3-4 years. That's just guesswork though. It could very well take 5 or more years
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:14 am

It took me 2 months to finish it. Note that it turned out awful because I was way too young.
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:05 pm

Maris wrote:It took me 2 months to finish it. Note that it turned out awful because I was way too young.

How old were you? If you don't mind.
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:25 pm

I think I was 10.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Mind if I ask what was it about?
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Well... The main character is a teenage girl named April. It starts with her moving away to her grandma's after her parent's house got destroyed by a hurricane or something, and then it just goes on and on like a soap opera. Laughing
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Maybe you could try rewriting it.

I can't even remember what my first novel was about. Plus, I had a really sucky computer, and I don't think I worked out the keyboard very well at that time XD
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Thalia wrote:Maybe you could try rewriting it.
    Laughing Not a chance.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:41 pm

I think it's like that with every first novel. Mine was about terrorists who kidnap this person and they try to eliminate her friends who saw some events and were a danger to their cause.
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:46 pm

Yours sounds much better than mine. Laughing Before that one, I wrote a story about a few dogs who were detectives or something like that. *facepalm* It was about 60 pages long. Laughing
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:49 pm

The original idea might've been all right but when you look further, it's shockingly bad. Horrendous.

Dog detective? Sounds a little bit like scooby doo XD
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 pm

LOL You're right, it does. But they only got into the business because one of their friends went missing. Turns out he was kidnapped by some rich man and his cats. I can't remember why. There were also subplots. One dog falls in love with another, but she loves some other dog... All kinds of twists.
    lol! lol! lol!
    No matter how ridiculous it is, I think the structure of the plot is better than it is in April's story. Laughing
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:14 pm

I remember writing a story in year 1. It was really short - only a page or two, and it was about a girl called Emma who was friend with with dolphins and fought against the evil sharks. In the end Emma got to go and live with the dolphins under the sea and they lived HAPPILY EVER AFTER!

...yay...

No

Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:14 am

Lmao Emma xD
    Before my first novel, I tried to write a book about 3 triplets who returned back home from Mumbai when they were 3 after their parents were swept away in flooding caused by monsoon rains. They lived alone and were escaping the police because otherwise they'd get in trouble -.-

And before THAT I wrote about some quadruplets who were kidnapped and thrown into garbage bags and thrown into the sea in Hartlepool. One of them ended up on the Shetland Islands and met someone called Lewis.

And before that, a story heavily based on Fairly Odd Parents, were some kids (same cast as above) who were running away from Vicky, the baby sitter and a monster. She trapped them in the house.

Finally, a random lot of kids who had a brother called Harry who had the worst things happen to him - first his temperature went up to 41 degrees and went down. Then as he was walking, his arms and legs broke which meant he had to be on a wheel chair. After that he was buried alive and was freed after shooting a canon ball through his canon arm (remember Astro Boy?).

Well. All terrible. The last one^, I wrote (didn't finish it cos the laptop burned) when I was 7, the one above when I was 9 and the one above THAT (the mumbai one) was when I was in Year 7.

Year SEVEN? I wrote dumb things like that when I was in YEAR 7?
    (I've just begun year 10. As in Freshman year, Hailey. Or Tia Smile)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:35 pm