Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

About Planning...

Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

About Planning... Empty About Planning...

Post by Mac Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Some of you plan, so I wondered HOW you planned?

Personally, I plan by outlining my plot, then creating characters and finally doing research. Plotting's my favourite! Very Happy

I also like to use OneNote for planning to. It helps keep everything tidy. StoryBook keeps the scenes in order for me... Smile

BQ (Remember from Yahoo? I loved them!): How did you get your current novel idea?

I got mine from a dream after watching the Jaws trailer the day before - except the kids were kidnapped by underwater robots. Then I went on Yahoo Answers to see if anyone had an idea why they'd be kidnapped... then someone suggested an idea which led to the creation of Mustafa Ehab (the previous antagonists were people like "Holly" "Yaz" "Chris" etc who were a cross between Hippies and environment lovers... it didn't fit at all XD
    dotandscribble
    dotandscribble

About Planning... Empty Re: About Planning...

Post by dotandscribble Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:36 pm

IF i do it, i tend to do very basic family trees so i know whos who and then a very rough list of key points/ events that i want to go in there which means that if i'm struggling with a certain section i can just move on to another and come back to it since it kinda doubles as a checklist.

I'm not sure how helpful this is for you, but hey, who knows right?
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:37 pm

I'll answer the BQ first. I was researching a slightly different story idea I was originally going to go with (it was only in the planning stages - I had only written one chapter), when I came across this article which mentioned Operation: Drop kick. Hence my idea about virus infecting a town Smile

My planning began by developing this "virus idea". I got a vague idea of who the MCs would be (ie. young teenage boy and girl) and then began developing their personalities. Then I tried to build up their pasts, in a way which supported their currently characteristics. Over this whole process (and even now), the characters and the plot changed a lot.

There is no one time when I do all my research - I do it gradually throughout the whole process.

When I'm planning the plot, I use post-it notes and write scenes on each of them, then stick them in chronological order. For my characters I write up character profiles and am now working through that fantastic interview sheet you gave me. It's sooo helpful - thank you so much!!
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm just interested, Dot Smile

@Emma, you are very welcome. I still have to try it out myself though - I was using another one before I found this one a few days ago... I need to develop three characters. I only have the good of two of them! D: I hate Gary Stu's so I can't have any!
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:38 am

Planning is pretty much like solving a Rubik's cube. Everything you change affects everything else and it seems impossible that you'll ever get it right. I still haven't worked mine out. Razz
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Maris wrote:Planning is pretty much like solving a Rubik's cube. Everything you change affects everything else and it seems impossible that you'll ever get it right. I still haven't worked mine out. Razz

Grr I know what you mean! My story has changed sooooo much since I started writing it!!! My characters have changed, my plot had changed...EVERYTHING had changed. I'm giving my story a break at the moment so I can let the most recent (and quite major) changes settle a bit before I begin to look critically at them and determine whether they are going to work or not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 am