Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Writing a writer's bio

Maris
    Maris

Writing a writer's bio Empty Writing a writer's bio

Post by Maris Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 am

Since my short story is going to be published, I was asked to write my writer's bio. But how do you write one when you're a teenage writer who obviously doesn't have any impressive achievements to mention?
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Writing a writer's bio Empty Re: Writing a writer's bio

Post by Mac Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:29 am

Congratulations!

Um... not really sure. Try reading some writer's bios for inspiration. It could be like this:

Maris Surname is 16 years old. She is an aspiring writer of Short Stories, Novels and poetry with a particular love of Fantasy and... uh I dunno - Crime.

Something like that is probably a good starting point. You could include something about siblings, where you live, etc. Is there a word count limit?

Hope I helped!
    Mac
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks, Mac Smile
    No, there isn't a word count limit. It doesn't have to be conventional and it shouldn't be dull. Whatever I feel would introduce me to my readers the best. Rolling Eyes
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:41 am

Huh, maybe reading some would help., I scraped these off of Scape, a literary e-zine:
    Alan Smale grew up in Yorkshire, England, but is now in the U.S. to stay. By day he works as a NASA research scientist, studying black holes, neutron stars and other strange celestial objects. By night he sings bass with high-energy vocal band The Chromatics and is co-creator of their educational AstroCappella project, spreading astronomy through a cappella and a cappella through astronomy. He has sold over thirty stories of science fiction and fantasy, alternate and twisted history to magazines including Realms of Fantasy (six times), Paradox, Abyss & Apex and Dark Regions, and original anthologies Panverse One and Panverse Two, A Wizard’s Dozen and A Nightmare’s Dozen, and Writers of the Future #13.

And another:
    Stephen Gaskell has fond recollections of the school dinners of his youth, and hope’s his Scape tale hasn’t put you off yours. A Careers Advisors’ worst nightmare, he has been employed as a computer programmer, barman, social research interviewer, and English-language teacher, but is currently trying to make a living as a full-time writer. Publishing credits with Interzone, Escape Pod, and Clarkesworld, amongst others, suggest this isn’t entirely in vain. He is currently working on his first novel, a near-future SF thriller set in Lagos, Nigeria. He blogs, erratically, at www.stephengaskell.com.

Another:
    Crystal Hilbert lives in the library under the stairs, subsisting mostly on old trade paperbacks and tea. Occasionally, she emerges from her dusty domicile in a continuing attempt to con Chatham University out of an English degree and most days find her sneaking around Pittsburgh, contemplating monsters. Her stories have appeared in Outer Reaches, Niteblade, Menda City Review and Tales of the Zombie War.

This one's pretty interesting:

Caleb Jordan Schulz has nomadic blood. He’s trekked in the Andes, dived in the Yucatan, and camped in the Amazon jungle. Many of his adventures have made their way into his writing, which have appeared in Innsmouth Free Press, Crossed Genres Year Two, Ray Gun Revival, and will appear in Subversion and Zombies Without Borders. When not traveling or writing, he works as a freelance editor and illustrator, and reads slush for Lightspeed Magazine.

A plainer one:
    Alan Frackelton’s short fiction has appeared in Murky Depths, Title Goes Here and Fantastique Unfettered, amongst others, online at The Future Fire, Colored Chalk, and Darker, and in the Brimstone Press e-anthology Black Box. He plans to write several more stories set in the same world as ‘City One’.
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:54 am

Try making a list of things you might want to say.
    Like: (I'm making this up as I go)
    #Sixteen years old
    #Work has appeared in.....,......,......
    #By day is a stereotypical teen, by night is lost in the world's of fantasy where blah blah blah.
    Okay, this is harder than I thought. Brainstorm , I guess.
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:04 pm

I read this awesome bio once that said:

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or technical editor (all of which she's tried), but are highly prized traits in novelists and artists. She's made her living as one or the other since she was 22. She now lives an eccentric life in the middle of nowhere, Virginia with her charmingly straight-laced husband, two kids, two neurotic dogs, and a 1973 Camaro named Loki.

It doesn't have to be some list of great achievements. It just has to be you. Just write about the way you see yourself
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:14 am

Thank you both Smile I'll try to write it today.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:22 pm

So, how'd it go, Maris? Very Happy
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Mmm, how did it go?
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:39 am

Still haven't written it. *hides from the publishers* I've been busy with school lately. But I'll get to it soon enough, I hope.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:14 pm