Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Tia
Joce
6 posters

Any book recommendations?

Lizzie
    Lizzie

Any book recommendations? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any book recommendations?

Post by Lizzie Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Mac wrote:Yes. Well maybe 98% as I know 2 people who most certainly haven't done either because one watches cricket all day and the other's parents would never let him XD
    Oh, poor kid!
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:49 pm

dotandscribble wrote:Yes! Really good Very Happy took me a while to get into them but when I did I fell in love!
    Only thing is I don't want the movie to be released
    I just finished Catching Fire, and all I have to say is THIS IS THE BIGGEST CLIFFHANGER IN THE HISTORY OF TIME! affraid affraid affraid Can't wait to start Mockingjay!
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:43 am

Agrees totally with Liz^. Except I've already finished the Mockingjay. Smile
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:01 am

Tia wrote:
    Lizzie wrote:The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (the one The Golden Compass was based on)
    Magyk by Angie Sage

I've read these three, and they're all great. The Golden Compass especially. It's a really well-thought out book, and you can tell the author put a lot of effort into writing it. It's also the book that inspired me to write my own story. If you're a firm believer in Christianity, though, you might not like book 2 and 3. Pullman really challenges the Church and puts his own ideas about Heaven and the afterlife out there. Homosexual angels even show up in the 3rd book XD I don't mind it, and I think he has an amazing imagination along with a unique plot, but if you're sensitive to that sort of thing, don't read it. Also, his characters are very realistic - Lyra's my favorite female lead character ever, actually.

I liked the Graveyard book Very Happy I'm also a Gaiman fan, and that's the book that got me interested in him, the reason I bought his other books. I loved the idea of a dead boy being raised by ghosts, and I liked how he never really explains anything, how he doesn't spell it out for us. He just drops subtle hints and you have to figure things out by yourself, make your own connections. I think you should definitely get it.

Magyk and the rest of the Septimus Heap series is a good series. It's pretty funny in places, has nice, well-rounded and believable character and a fun plot with tons of magic. Don't get me wrong, it's a good series and I like it, but it's targeted to a slightly younger audience. My brother adores the series, for example, and he's 12. I used to like it more than I do now, and I think it's because I've outgrown it. I've just gotten used to a bit more serious books. Think Harry Potter book 1 writing style, just not as good, 'cause, well, nothing's as good as Harry Potter XD

Thanks guys, but I've already read Magyk and The Golden Compass books. But the Graveyard book is definitely worth checking out. Well after my Bio exam. Grr... midterms.
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm planning to read The Hunger Games before the movie comes out. Both seem pretty good. I hope I won't be disappointed.
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Maris wrote:I'm planning to read The Hunger Games before the movie comes out. Both seem pretty good. I hope I won't be disappointed.

Like I said, they're amazing! But maybe you should read them in English, since the translation can sometimes ruin the experience, like in my case.
    The Hunger Games is my favorite series at the moment.
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Anybody read The Picture of Dorian Grey?
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Lizzie wrote:
    Maris wrote:I'm planning to read The Hunger Games before the movie comes out. Both seem pretty good. I hope I won't be disappointed.

Like I said, they're amazing! But maybe you should read them in English, since the translation can sometimes ruin the experience, like in my case.
    The Hunger Games is my favorite series at the moment.
    Oh yes, I'll definitely read them in English. Smile

Lizzie wrote:Anybody read The Picture of Dorian Grey?
    I've read it. It's really good. Gotta love Oscar Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:42 am