Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Becoming attached to your characters

Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Becoming attached to your characters Empty Becoming attached to your characters

Post by Mac Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Do any of you ever feel like you're attached to your characters? I do sometimes. I felt like apologizing to Liam for what I did to him in the Diamond Fist, as if they were real. Is that weird?

In my NaNo novel I have an idea for what to do with Xavier when he gets kidnapped (where he nearly loses his life, I'm not sure if I should kill him), and I know I'm going to feel guilty for doing it to him too. Does anyone get attached to your characters as if they're your siblings/friends/children? Or am I just weird? XD
    dotandscribble
    dotandscribble

Becoming attached to your characters Empty Re: Becoming attached to your characters

Post by dotandscribble Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:48 pm

i feel strangely maternal about mine :/
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Becoming attached to your characters Empty Re: Becoming attached to your characters

Post by Lizzie Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:44 pm

I do, very much. But I still try to not let that interfere with my story. I don't want to feel sorry for them and not give them some terrible luck if I have to, or refrain from making their life miserable if it's what the story needs. It's like I created the characters from scratch. I can't make their lives perfect just because I'm attached to them. I DO NOT want to be Stephenie Meyer, who didn't make her story better because she didn't want to kill off any of the characters. I want to be J. K. Rowling, who cried while writing the death of one of her personal favorite characters. I hated that part, too, but I have to admit that the Deathly Hallows wouldn't be the same without it. It made my heart sting, and that's why it's so good.
    Also, my main characters can seriously annoy me from time to time XD
    dotandscribble
    dotandscribble

Post by dotandscribble Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:16 pm

i know what you mean lizzie - i may not want to hurt them but i still think they have to go through some pretty crappy stuff because thats life Smile
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:00 am

I decide on their fate before I become attached to them, personally. I think it's good becoming attached to them - it's as if they're your friends.
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Lizzie wrote:I do, very much. But I still try to not let that interfere with my story. I don't want to feel sorry for them and not give them some terrible luck if I have to, or refrain from making their life miserable if it's what the story needs. It's like I created the characters from scratch. I can't make their lives perfect just because I'm attached to them. I DO NOT want to be Stephenie Meyer, who didn't make her story better because she didn't want to kill off any of the characters. I want to be J. K. Rowling, who cried while writing the death of one of her personal favorite characters. I hated that part, too, but I have to admit that the Deathly Hallows wouldn't be the same without it. It made my heart sting, and that's why it's so good.
    Also, my main characters can seriously annoy me from time to time XD
    Exactly. I think it's important to care about the characters, but that doesn't mean you should make everything easy for them. The story comes first and if it's going to be good, the characters have to suffer. That's just the way it is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:47 am