Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Tia
Mac
6 posters

Favourite Genre of books.

Poll

What's your favourite Genre of books?

[ 1 ]
    Favourite Genre of books. Bar_left13%Favourite Genre of books. Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Favourite Genre of books. Bar_left0%Favourite Genre of books. Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 6 ]
    Favourite Genre of books. Bar_left75%Favourite Genre of books. Bar_right [75%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Favourite Genre of books. Bar_left12%Favourite Genre of books. Bar_right [12%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 8
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Favourite Genre of books. Empty Favourite Genre of books.

Post by Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:43 am

What's your favourite genre of Book and why?
    Tia
    Tia

Favourite Genre of books. Empty Re: Favourite Genre of books.

Post by Tia Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm in a list-making mood. XD

Thriller - Eh, I'm fifty-fifty with this one. It can be alright and really nicely written, but the plot always seems to be along the lines of 'guns, kidnapping, assassination, rebellion' bla bla bla. If The DaVinci Code counts as a thriller, I loved that book.

Action/Adventure - I like this one. Not as much as I love fantasy, but I think it's nicely done. I read it from time to time, and mostly enjoy it.

Science Fiction - Eh. I'm sorta meh here. I've never been a space, aliens and virtual computer worlds sort of person. Always too technological for my tastes. Tad Williams, one of my all-time fantasy authors, wrote a science-fiction series, Otherland, and it's supposed to be great, but I bought the first novel and just couldn't get into it.

Fantasy - I love this genre with all my heart. I think that it requires the most imagination and that it's one of the most challenging to write. You are, after all, making up a whole new species, world, magic system and so on. I'm a big fantasy fan, and most of my shelves are filled with this genre.

Romance - I love this genre, as long as it's nicely written. Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice are some of my favorites. I've read both of them twice. But, you know, if it's some high school teen drama, where 'Summer's hair flowed gracefully in the wind', I throw it across the room.

Mystery - Personally, I don't like the genre. But I do admire the authors who write it. It takes a lot of imagination to create a mystery and the way the MC unravels it. I admire them loads, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Crime - Same as mystery

Horror - Love this Very Happy Which is odd, because I can't stand horror movies, but whatever XD I loved Frankenstein and Dracula, but my favorite author is Lovecraft. He's a bit too wordy, but has great ideas.

Granny Lit - Hahhahah, I dunno what this is exactly. The classics? Sure, I like the classics. I haven't read a whole lot of them, but what I have read I liked.

Other - Um. Can't really think of another genre. Okay, I'm done. In conclusion, favorite genre is definetly fantasy.
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Fantasy is probably my favourite. If done right, it can be so original and interesting. You literally get taken into a whole other world!

I'm not a big thriller/horror fan. Granny Lit??? Haha! What on earth is that?! Not a big crime/mystery fan either, although I do like crime tv dramas.

Science-fiction depends. Some of them are amazing. Currently my favourite series (Chaos Walking) is science-fiction. However, on the other hand, some areas of SF I can't stand. If any blurb so much as mentions a spaceship, I am almost instantly turned off it.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm going to buy a fantasy book when I get more money. I bought a Sci-Fi book (Dune) and it's supposed to be one of the best books written in the 20th century according to Hodder the publisher. I loved Harry Potter, I think I'm ready for more!

My favourite Genre is Thriller. That's sort of why I liked HP7 lots and why I liked The Lost Symbol too. (Yes, the DaVinci code does count. I think. If Robert Langdon was the MC then Yes.)

Granny lit... OK, stuff like 'confessions of a shopaholic' or 'sex and the city' are probably chick lit - so things that mainly young women would get into - finding true love, shopping, dieting, all those cliché things that women in their 30's supposedly like (according to Jane). Granny Lit is the same thing except it's what Grandparents supposedly like (Jane says to add in Zimmer Frames for this XD)
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Huh, I can't say I've ever tried reading Granny Lit then. I'll give it a go sometime.
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:50 pm

FANTASY ALL THE WAY!!! Trust me, almost all my favorites are fantasy novels. I just love to lose myself in some different world where everything is possible. I love imagining the places, the characters, the unique objects. The stories are so original and, if written well, they can suck you into them, make you believe everything it's telling while you're reading it. I always write fantasy, too. I just feel more at ease, more free when doing that instead of dealing with these limitations (oh, that's a children story, oh, that's not real, blah, blah, blah). I can just... create everything from scratch
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Thalia wrote:FANTASY ALL THE WAY!!! Trust me, almost all my favorites are fantasy novels. I just love to lose myself in some different world where everything is possible. I love imagining the places, the characters, the unique objects. The stories are so original and, if written well, they can suck you into them, make you believe everything it's telling while you're reading it. I always write fantasy, too. I just feel more at ease, more free when doing that instead of dealing with these limitations (oh, that's a children story, oh, that's not real, blah, blah, blah). I can just... create everything from scratch

But that's exactly what intimidates me! I think I'm just in experienced when it comes to Fantasy though. Maybe I could try it when I read more Fantasy books...
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Mac wrote:
    Thalia wrote:FANTASY ALL THE WAY!!! Trust me, almost all my favorites are fantasy novels. I just love to lose myself in some different world where everything is possible. I love imagining the places, the characters, the unique objects. The stories are so original and, if written well, they can suck you into them, make you believe everything it's telling while you're reading it. I always write fantasy, too. I just feel more at ease, more free when doing that instead of dealing with these limitations (oh, that's a children story, oh, that's not real, blah, blah, blah). I can just... create everything from scratch

But that's exactly what intimidates me! I think I'm just in experienced when it comes to Fantasy though. Maybe I could try it when I read more Fantasy books...

Yeah, I think that's the thing. I've read TONS of fantasy novels. Some of them were good, and some were just terrible.
    But I think you need a lot of imagination for writing fantasy, too. You just have to think of something completely original. The whole story has to be never seen before.

Why don't you download novels to your computer?
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:15 pm

I actually prefer having the book out in front of me, or at least something other than a computer. I'd love to get a kindle but I'm kind of poor right now... no wait! I've paid my debt so I can start saving... yipee! Smile
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:21 pm

I'm not a fan of computer books either, but my country's bookstores are sooooo poor. It's like no one in Serbia reads any more... You should have seen me when I got to Waterstone's, I was like a four year old in a candy store XD. And Amazon is not an option, because with the shipping and all, I would be paying 60 euros for a 5 euro novel. So I have to settle for my computer. Oh, well.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Do you have a Kindle? I think you can download books onto the computer and onto the Kindle. Amazon should have that. Wait... there's shipping :/
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Thalia wrote:I'm not a fan of computer books either, but my country's bookstores are sooooo poor. It's like no one in Serbia reads any more... You should have seen me when I got to Waterstone's, I was like a four year old in a candy store XD. And Amazon is not an option, because with the shipping and all, I would be paying 60 euros for a 5 euro novel. So I have to settle for my computer. Oh, well.

Same here, Tia, same here.

I'm a huge fantasy fan, but lately I've been reading Sci-Fi. Not like Star Wars or Star Trek, ugh. Dystopian, and books like Scott Westerfeld's, are my favorites.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Dystopia? I like Dystopia Very Happy I've not read much on it apart from Noughts & Crosses though. Has anyone read 1984 or Fahrenheit 451 (I think that's what it's called)?
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Joce wrote:
    Thalia wrote:I'm not a fan of computer books either, but my country's bookstores are sooooo poor. It's like no one in Serbia reads any more... You should have seen me when I got to Waterstone's, I was like a four year old in a candy store XD. And Amazon is not an option, because with the shipping and all, I would be paying 60 euros for a 5 euro novel. So I have to settle for my computer. Oh, well.

Ummm, I'm not Tia....
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Awkwaaaard....
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Thalia wrote:
    Joce wrote:

Ummm, I'm not Tia....

Huh? How I'd manage that? I guess I flipped it in my head. That was stupid. Embarassed
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Haha, it's ok. Maybe because my username is Thalia.
    Just call me Lizzie
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Right. Really sorry, Lizzie. "Most Forgetful Scatter-brain Person On the Continent Africa Award" Goes to *drumroll* Joce!
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:08 pm

And Asia! Sinai is part of Asia xD I think.

I like your signature by the way.
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Joce wrote:Right. Really sorry, Lizzie. "Most Forgetful Scatter-brain Person On the Continent Africa Award" Goes to *drumroll* Joce!

IT'S OK! People mess up my name ALL THE TIME
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Hahhahahahahahaha! Wrong Slavic, Joce XD For what it’s worth, my local bookstore is also pretty small.

Has anyone read 1984 or Fahrenheit 451 (I think that's what it's called)?

I have! Very Happy I LOVE 1984, but haven't read Fahrenheit 451. Try reading Animal Farm. It's also by George Orwell, and I liked it even more than 1984.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:03 pm

I'd like to read 1984 Smile I'm interested with anything to do with nuclear weapons or the borders of a future world (which 1984 apparently says something about).

What's Animal Farm?
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Yeah, 1984 is great. It's more of a mind thing though; a sort of the-government-has-taken-over-our-lives-and-is-always-watching-us thing. In fact, the most famous quote of the whole book is: Big Brother is watching you. XD Though of course war's part of it too. I enjoyed it a whole lot.

Animal Farm was also written by George Orwell. Basically, all the animals on this farm take over and throw out the farmer, Mr. Jones, so that they can have an easier life and run the farm the way they want. Less work, more food, bla bla bla. But, then there's a fight between the pigs (the pigs are the smartest animals, so they run the place), creating two parties. The good, democratic party gets thrown out, and the bad, communistic party rules. It's supposed to teach about communism and Stalin and how humans can be cruel, but it’s really well written. Pretty short too. I think it’s only got about 90 pages,
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:16 pm

We're - HOLD ON! I need to shoot five airplanes before they crash into me... OK back - learning about communism and Stalin and stuff in history. It's pretty cool but Communism and Stalin scare me. The first sounds too restrictive and the second sounds like a meanie. But I feel sorry for his minister. Stalin had a stroke during a meal together.
    Dinner with a dying man anyone?
    Maris
    Maris

Post by Maris Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:31 pm

LadyCobweb wrote:Yeah, 1984 is great. It's more of a mind thing though; a sort of the-government-has-taken-over-our-lives-and-is-always-watching-us thing. In fact, the most famous quote of the whole book is: Big Brother is watching you. XD Though of course war's part of it too. I enjoyed it a whole lot.
    I'd like to read it. Smile

Is anyone registered on one of those sites where you can keep track of the books you've read and the ones you're planning to read? I have an account on Shelfari. I'd be lost without it. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:42 am