Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Lizzie
Emma
Tia
7 posters

Kindle vs. Paper Books

Poll

Which do you prefer: A Kindle or a book?

[ 0 ]
    Kindle vs. Paper Books - Page 2 Bar_left0%Kindle vs. Paper Books - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Kindle vs. Paper Books - Page 2 Bar_left86%Kindle vs. Paper Books - Page 2 Bar_right [86%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Kindle vs. Paper Books - Page 2 Bar_left14%Kindle vs. Paper Books - Page 2 Bar_right [14%] 

Total Votes: 7
    Maris
    Maris

Kindle vs. Paper Books - Page 2 Empty Re: Kindle vs. Paper Books

Post by Maris Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:49 pm

Mine is -1.25
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:55 pm

That's not that bad. You could almost get along without glasses.
    My brother's really odd though. Ever since birth, he couldn't hear very well on one ear. His right one, I think. Anyway, he wears a hearing aid so he's fine, but if you go to the beach to him or he forgets to put it on, there's a chance he may not hear you on that ear. And a year ago, he went to the eye doctor just for a standard check-up, and then they discovered that he has a -1 prescription on his right eye as well. The whole left side of his face is fine; he only needs help on his right side XD
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm

LadyCobweb wrote:That's not that bad. You could almost get along without glasses.
    My brother's really odd though. Ever since birth, he couldn't hear very well on one ear. His right one, I think. Anyway, he wears a hearing aid so he's fine, but if you go to the beach to him or he forgets to put it on, there's a chance he may not hear you on that ear. And a year ago, he went to the eye doctor just for a standard check-up, and then they discovered that he has a -1 prescription on his right eye as well. The whole left side of his face is fine; he only needs help on his right side XD

Wow, that is strange...
    Hailey
    Hailey

Post by Hailey Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:01 pm

Mine is -5. and -6.5 I think.
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Emma wrote:
    LadyCobweb wrote:That's not that bad. You could almost get along without glasses.

Wow, that is strange...
    Agreed.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:56 pm

What does all the -3.5 or +2.5 stuff mean? :S
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:19 pm

They're eye prescriptions; basically, how well or how badly you see. If it's a minus sign, then you're nearsighted. In other words, you can't see things far away, but you can see up close fine. -1 isn't that bad, but by the time you're at -5 or -6 (like Hailey and I XD) you're pretty helpless without glasses. If there's a plus sign, however, that means you're farsighted; you can see things far away just fine, but you can't see things up close.
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Ohhh, now it makes sense...

If you had the option of laser surgery - and had the money for it and wouldn't be in debt for it (400 pounds an eye here. 800 pounds here means you're RICH! Well for a teen anyway. Super Super rich.), would you do it?
    Joce
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Mac wrote:Ohhh, now it makes sense...

Ditto.
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I would get the laser surgery. It can get pretty annoying sometimes, buying new contacts all the time and making sure that you don't loose them. If you loose them for even a few minutes and they're not in this special sort of liquid which keeps them damp, then you can't use them anymore. They go dry, and just won't stick to your eye anymore.

But, you can't get the operation until you're at least 21, and only if your prescription hasn't changed AT ALL in the last few years. Mine hasn't, but you never know. And I'm not 21. XD So it's not an option for me, but I'm trying to save up some money. Right now I'm saving up for a laptop; once I buy that, I'll start saving for the surgery.
    Hailey
    Hailey

Post by Hailey Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:28 pm

Here you can get it at 18. Smile)) I'm getting mine done for a graduation present. Very Happy
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Really? That's great! Luckyyy.
    You know what, I just realized I could actually maybe get it done at 18 too. I'm probably going to go to college in the States when I'm 18, so it's perfect timing! Very Happy
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Another question! What's the difference - in America - between College and University? I've heard Bruno Mars sing in the Lazy Song about getting his college degree... I thought it's a Uni degree :/
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:57 pm

There's not really a defined difference. It's basically the same thing. Technically, a university has 4 years or more of studying and a college can have a maximum of two years, and both of them are what you do after high school. But people often use college when they really mean university; college is much more colloquial. In a book, or on a TV show they always say college in a conversation. Whenever I ask any of my relatives about it, I always use college, and all of them have really been at a university.

How does it work in England?

Last edited by LadyCobweb on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Post by Lizzie Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:09 pm

In Serbia, we don't have colleges at all. We only have universities which are divided into faculties
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:52 pm

In England Year 12 and 13 (We're a year ahead of America so in America it'd be 11th and 12th grade) can be done in school where it's called sixth form - an old term from Ye Olde Times (about 50 years ago) - or at college. University is after year 13. I think.
    Uni courses here are 3 to 4 years.
    Hailey
    Hailey

Post by Hailey Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Nothing much is different other than the years that you attend one. College is usually only 2 years, while University is 4+ years
    Mac
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:53 pm

what's it like without glasses on? Is it all blurry and out of focus?
    Tia
    Tia

Post by Tia Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Pretty much, yeah. I've got a -5 prescription, which isn't a little, and for me it's just that everything is really blurry. Everything far away that is. Up close, I can see perfectly. For example, if there was a black calculator on a table far away, I would be able to figure out it's a table, because they're pretty big, but the black calculator? That could be everything from a Nintendo to a Coke bottle. I know it's black and I know it's there, but I can't define what it is exactly. However, when in a familiar space, like my house, I can walk around fine with no glasses on for a short period of time. Sometimes in the middle of the night I go down two staircases just to get my iPod or a glass of water, and I can mange that fine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:24 pm